Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week 6 - Googlenomics & Kick-off

Well, it finally got here. The last week of the class. What an interesting and enjoyable way to learn. This class made me want to gorget about my other class and just focus on all the exciting material and different ways to express knowledge in this course. This week looks like it has a lot of material focusing on advertising on the internet and in video games. Growing up as a video game junkie, I think this will be rather interesting. I recall when a lot of the video games started having sponsors and ads within the game. I never thought about it too much, but hopefully there will be great insight to the future of advertising. I plan on reading / viewing the following for this last week:

-Read article about Googlenomics (Required)
-View advertising in video games video (Required)
-Read Promotion within our community
-Read Why advertising is failing on the internet
-Read Advertisers facing hurdles on the internet
-View the podcast about Second Life
-View my new favorite online news program Charlie Rose interviewing Google CEO, Eric Schmidt

This seems like a lot to do for the last week of this class, but I am interested, so I will try to get it all complete.

Response to Googlenomics article

The people at Google are extremely intelligent. I thought I knew that when talking to some of them at career fairs and knowing some people who work for them. But to completely change the game of online advertising is something only a few companies could do. Google would always have my vote as number one innovator on the internet because everything it touches seems to be amazing. Google has over 60% of all searches on the internet, which is phenomenal, but taking that data and using it to better serve not only Google, but it's customers and users. That is just smart business sense. The more I can always do at work with data and not just do something by gut feel makes everyone else more confident in what I do. That is exactly what we see with this article. Customers thought it would fail ... miserably, in fact, but Google could back up its second-price auction advertising with actual data, save its customers' money, and turn a greater profit. What is the word above intelligent? Brilliant? Genius? I don't think I have ever been unimpressed by news about Google. This article just solidifies my "Trust Google" beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment