Sunday, May 16, 2010

Week 5 - A Brief History of the Internet


There were many things I had heard about the Internet, but after watching this video I realized I did not have all the facts. It is hard to imagine that the concept of the Internet is over 40 years old and the World Wide Web is over 20 years old. It seems vastly different than what the internet was even 5 years ago. 10 years ago seems archaic to me now. The comments some experts had about the Internet in 2020 don't surprise me that much. You would think that this type of growth would have to slow down at some point, but maybe it won't. To offer a counter argument on the other hand, look at when we landed on the moon; everyone thought we would be driving flying cars and living in space in the not so distant future. We aren't there yet, but the Internet has evolved and continues to evolve at rapid rates.
I guess I never realized there was a difference between the Internet and the World Wide Web. Thanks for the clarification. Being more connected in the future has its positives and negatives, but maybe being more transparent will help all of us understand each other better in the future. It might be harsh at first, but it could be very enlightening. It is fun to let your mind wander about what the Internet will hold for us in 10 more years ... what about 20? Is that even imaginable? I guess we will have to live it to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment