Saturday, May 1, 2010

Week 2 - Social Marketing Playbook / Wrap-up

I will be honest that I did not read every word in this reading. However, I did scan it pretty thoroughly, and I think it is something that all marketing departments should read. They should read it soon as the information will become less relevant as time moves on. I have mentioned this in previous posts, but I think this reading got the top social websites correctly (for the present) mentioning Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube as the top sites. I really liked the analogy of the internet being one big conversation and companies need to join that conversation by adding value. The jingles and relentless advertising just create an abrupt stop in the conversation that a lot of people will ignore now. After reading some of the tips for how to get your organization on Twitter, Facebook, etc., I realized how far behind my company is in social networking. There was a note about not just posting link after link in Twitter, but have a conversation. My company, Cummins, has a Twitter account and that is pretty much all I have seen posted from them. That brings me to a question: Do all companies need to be socially involved on the internet? Obviously it will help build your brand, but does it make sense for companies that are more business to business sellers / providers to gain fan bases on the web? I think right now companies can get away with it, but in the future they will find their popularity fading.

Week 2 wrap-up

I accomplished all the reading and viewing of material that was available this week, and got it completed a day early. I am feeling good about that, but I know next week has more media to view and my work schedule is much more grueling, so hopefully I will be able to get ahead a little bit. Although some of the content I mentioned was a little boring this week, I still learned a lot from this week's material, and got to search for more things on the web that I can use in the future for work and personal tasks. I am looking at my brand communities I am involved in in a different light. It is neat to think about companies actually trying to make my experience better just by interacting with them online.

I also want to note that I did buy my first t-shirt from threadless.com, and I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment