Sunday, May 2, 2010

Week 3 - Origins of Social Media


This chapter in The New Influencers really did point out the origins of social media: blogs. Blogs have been around for much longer than any other social media I have heard of, other than maybe chatrooms, but I think those might be dead. Almost all of these readings for this class have had a fascinating story about a company / industry and their interaction with social media. The AOL customer service story was pretty funny. I had to look up the call on the internet, which pointed me to a youtube video from NBC news coverage. I had not heard about this story, but it helps understand how customer service via the telephone has evolved. Almost every customer service call I have made in the past year or so has been overly polite. I think the first line that every representative has to say is, "I completely understand what you are saying." In fact, sometimes they don't and you have to repeat yourself. Either way, it is impressive how much blogs can change the landscape of business (reference the Groundswell).

The descriptions of the different types of blogs was spot on. I think many people appreciate the ability to view comments and posts about topics relevant to them, but I still have a hard time understanding where many of these people get the time to blog constantly (I think this class is the exception to my rule). I also think that blogging has become a hobby. If someone wants to spend their time creating a blog and posting items all day long, then good for them. We know that it isn't profitable until you gain a massive audience, but if you want to blog vs. someone who likes to golf, for example, go ahead. I think I know people who golf more than they actually work, it seems like. The University of Tennessee professor who posts 12 times in roughly 12 hours on vacation(?!), that has to be a passion. I don't follow blogs very frequently, so many of the websites referenced in the reading were new to me. I might have to check a few of them out. This class is a big eye-opener!


By the way, does AOL even exist anymore? They were such a huge player in the internet and now I never hear anything about them.

1 comment:

  1. I like your post and I must confess I have had some very similar thoughts or ponderances. What prompts people to blog, especially those who don't aspire to make money? Is it a passion for the subject? Is it hoping to generate a dialog to learn, persuade, or debate? I don't readily identify with it and I do wonder about those who find it worthwhile. But, as you know it's very pervasive and a regular mode of online expression. I enjoyed your thoughts this week.
    And, by the way, they are in the news now and then but, I agree, AOL seems to be fading fast.

    ReplyDelete