Saturday, April 24, 2010

Week 1 - Amazon CEO J. Bezos video


If you watch this video with following the Newspaper podcasts, you see the solution in Amazon's Kindle. I guess I didn't understand why these Kindles weren't in color and now it makes more sense. I love how customer focused Amazon is. You see that in this video as Jeff Bezos preaches it numerous times throughout the conversation. He truly wants to keep the Kindle as an object that the customer doesn't notice as they immerse themselves in a book.


I liked hearing that you could subscribe to newspapers and magazines for equal or less than subscriptions currently out there. I still think it will be a hard sell because you can get those same newspapers for free online, but maybe it will catch on and keep some revenues for the newspapers. I had to disagree with Mr. Bezos on the simplicity part of the conversation. Yes, consumers want simplicity in ease of access and use, but I think everyone would rather have the one device that does it all versus ten different objects they carry around. People want a one stop shop. Marketing still will be difficult with a one stop shop because that one stop shop device will still be interacting with the internet and thus not solve the marketer's dilemma of "place" and "promotion." Overall, I enjoyed the video and think that we are just on the forefront of turning the Kindle (or more likely its technology) into everyone's daily media.

Also, I don't get why Amazon doesn't want to share its sales numbers. It just was an odd part of the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment